Monday, May 4, 2009

Menu Planning

As I wrote my post earlier about my $20 budget at Target each week, I heard a little voice in the back of my head saying "that's 80 bucks each month! On just random 'stuff!'" But as I thought about it some more, I decided that's really so little! And here's why: my grocery store spending is so low each month, being supplemented at Target for all those random snacks and stuff. Here's how i keep my grocery spending low:
1. by using coupons, of course,
2. by matching my coupons up with items that are already on sale and stocking up if it is a really great price,
3. making a menu plan, and
4. by using what I already have!

Menu plan? What's that, you may ask. Well, since learning the "art" of couponing about a year ago, I've learned many ways to save a buck, thanks to all those savings blogs out there. I am not a die-hard menu-planner, but I do try to stick to it each week. The big bonus--I don't have to go to the grocery store as often!!

In my old ways of doing things, I would think of some recipes that sounded good for the coming week, I'd write out all the ingredients that I needed but didn't have (usually all of them!) and then I'd go to the store to get everything on my incredibly long list, and then be mad as I walked out of the store $100 poorer and with what seemed like so little in my shopping bags.

Now, I plan my menus around what I already have in my house, not around what "sounds good" at the moment. I just look in my fridge, freezer, deep freeze, and cabinets for inspiration. Here's how it shaked out this week:

  • Monday: leftovers night (we had tons of odds & ends in the fridge from the weekend that had to go. Wa-la! Dinner!!)
  • Tuesday: Ham (free at Target this week), veggies (frozen, snagged 'em for .24 at Walmart a while back), and a noodle side (like Lipton, less than a buck at Dillons a while back)
  • Wednesday: Beef stir-fry with noodles (Beef was free at Target last month, noodles I had in the pantry; will need to buy a bag of stir-fry veggies; will use up some water chestnuts and bamboo shoots I have in the pantry)
  • Thursday: Hot dogs (snagged 'em for about $1 a few months back; been in the deep freeze), chips, a frozen veggie or canned fruit I have in the pantry
  • Friday: Shrimp Alfredo pasta (have the noodles on hand, bought for .99 at HyVee last month, shrimp was in the freezer from Costco, Alfredo was on sale this week at Target-got it last night), need to buy a bunch of Asparagus.
  • Saturday: probably gonna be movie night so we'll have some frozen appetizers ie Pizza rolls (.24/box at Dillons after coupons a while back) and Fridays tater skins (got 'em FREE after coupon at Hen House a couple months ago)
So, I have 6 days worth of meals planned out and all I have to run to the store for is a bunch of asparagus and a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies...I'll be getting out of the store for less than $10!! Can't beat that!

Now, one important suggestion is this: plan your meals around what you have going on that day. Like Thursday, I'm scheduled at work till 6:30. So, I planned something microwaveable for that night because by the time I get home, it better be something quick or else the kids will be hellians by the time dinner gets on the table. Be realistic with your time and what you'll be able to pull off. This will help you stick to your plan so you aren't tempted to grab carryout on your way home. Plus, sticking to the plan keeps a certain list in your hand when you go to the store--don't be tempted to stray from the list. Impulse buys are where you'll rack up the most cost.

Now, I'm a snacker. I snack all day long. And you'll notice I planned out nothing for snacking. And I didn't plan out lunches for during the week either (-that we just make up from left-overs and whatever is on hand). But all those free and cheap snacks I get at Target each week for right around $20...doesn't make me feel so bad about spending that money now...my food bill for the week is only $30. No, it's not gourmet eating. I'm not eating organic or anything either. But, its home-cooked meals with a variety of fruits and veggies thrown in there and overall a healthy plan. And who can knock that?

No comments:

Post a Comment